St. Peters Church at Melverley on the River Severn has been a place of Christian worship for about 1000 years. The current church was built and in use by 1406 and the font almost certainly dates to back to Saxon times.
The church is made with local Melverley oak and the entire structure is pegged together, not one nail being used. it is a very unusual example of this type of build and the only one in Shropshire.
The altar and pulpit are Jacobean with beautiful hand carving. The lectern holds a chain bible dating from 1727.
The church is open every day for visitors and is still in regular use for services and weddings.
in 1766 a wedding was registered between Matthew Dodd and Elinor Foster. the clerk added a poem in the margin of the register which reads: